Richmond, also known as Port Richmond is a region in the River Wards area of the city of Philadelphia with a population of over 22,000.
Port Richmond was initially owned by Anthony Palmer in 1704. It was originally called 'Hope Farm', and he kept it for 26 years before selling his estate to William Ball in 1729. Hope Farm thus became known as 'Balltown'.
By the 1800's, Balltown had become Port Richmond, and with the arrival of steam powered ships, Port Richmond became a major port for trade. Port Richmond was incorporated as a district in 1847.
Further Information (off-site links)