Richmond is a very small village in Jefferson County of less than 500 people.
The land upon which Richmond stands was bought by Joseph and Mary Talbott in 1808, and they arranged for it to be surveyed. By 1815, Main Street and four cross streets named Green, High, Walnut and Sugar had been laid out, and the plots were then sold off.
The history of the naming of Richmond is uncertain. Most likely it was named after Richmond, Virginia, but it may also have been after the Presbyterian Society Richmond Church which stood outside the town, or for a Richard Richmond who once worked for Mr Talbott. Descendants of the Talbott family still live in the village.
Further Information (off-site links)