Richmond is a township in McHenry County with a population of under 2,000. Richmond lies almost at the Wisconsin border and is near Antioch, Illinois.
Richmond, IL was founded in 1844 by William McConnell, a carpenter who arrived in the area in 1837 and named the village after his childhood home in Richmond, Vermont. Eight other settlers arrived in 1838, at which point the village began to expand.
Most of Richmond's original buildings were built from the mid-1840s to the 1860s. On Christmas Eve 1902 however, a devastating fire swept through most of Richmond's commercial district destroying 20 buildings. Many business owners did not rebuild, but a new building movement did occur between 1903 and 1905.
Further Information (off-site links)